What is an Independent Complaints Advocacy (ICA) service?

You can get free support to help you make a complaint about the NHS by using the Independent Complaints Advocacy (ICA) service. They can:

  • Help you explore your options at the different stages of a complaint process and give you information that will help you to decide what to do.
  • Provide you with information about how the NHS complaints system works.
  • Help you to understand what you can expect to achieve from the NHS complaints process.
  • Help you to pull together issues you wish to raise in your complaints.
  • Help you to send your complaint to the right people.
  • Help you to monitor the progress of your complaint with the organisation or individual responsible.
  • Put you in touch with people or services that may be able to help you. 

Healthwatch Manchester has compiled a leaflet for download below with more information on how to make complaints about your services.

Independent Complaints Advocacy (ICA) in Manchester

The ICA in Manchester is provided by the Manchester Advocacy Hub at The Gaddum Centre

They have produced some guidance on how to make an NHS complaint, including a template for a complaints letter.

There are a few ways that people can access the ICA service:

Email to: advocacy@gaddum.co.uk attaching a completed self-referral form. A person can also complete a referral form if they are making a complaint on behalf of someone else. Professionals can complete a referral on behalf of an individual (with their consent), this referral form is available on the ICA website. Please ensure that the document is encrypted with a password.

Phone: 0161 834 6069

In writing: ICA, Manchester Advocacy Hub, The Gaddum Centre, Gaddum House, 6 Great Jackson Street, Manchester, M15 4AX

In addition to the Independent Health Complaints Advocacy for people who want to make a complaint about their NHS treatment inline with NHS Regulations 2009, they also provide other statutory health and social care Advocacy, namely:

  • Independent Mental Health Advocacy – for eligible patients under the Mental Health Act 1983.
  • Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy – for individuals who are deemed to lack capacity in line with the Mental Capacity Act 2005.
  • Care Act Advocacy – for individuals who have substantial difficulty being involved in their care and support needs under the Care Act 2014.

For more information, visit their website:


Healthwatch Manchester leaflet - How to make a complaint about health or care services in Manchester

Healthwatch England and the Citizens Advice have also produced some resources available here.